Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Sweet Lolita...too over the top?

So, those of you who know me, know that I'm a sweet lolita-meaning I wear lots of pastels and cute things and have giant hair most of the time. I am always kind of weirded out that this is my favorite style, considering I'm almost thirty...but hey...do what you love right? So while sweet is my favorite style it has undergone a major transformation from its beginnings. Sweet used to look more like this...


or this...


and it can still look like that today, and it is still considered sweet because it follows the guidelines of the sweet style. However, sweet lately has started to look more and more like this...

and this...
eventually the style starts to run into decora and fairy kei lolita, when more accessories are involved. So, now there is kind of this major fluctuation in the amount of "sweetness" you can have in your sweet outfit. So the people who really liked the pink pink hair and frilly, fuzzy brooches and lacy wrist cuffs all in the same outfit, were deemed OOT sweet or "over the top" sweet for obvious reasons. This is my favorite style and I honestly think it takes the most "balls" to wear in public, because it is also the one that stands out most (of the main categories of lolita anyway). This is why I generally don't wear it to work or anything, the man doesn't allow my pastel blend giant wig on the property unless it's crazy hair day. Although I am often able to sneak my jumper skirts to work during the summer, and get lots of compliments. But it's just not the same without all the extras.
Extras make the outfit, remember that.

On a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT NOTE we have a fashion show this friday! Hooray, it will be at Taiyou Con in Mesa www.taiyoucon.com and we will have 8 outfits...2 pirate, 1 sailor, 3 sweet, 1 classic and 1 kodona. I am very excited because I put so much effort into these outfits and the girls modeling them are amazing AS ALWAYS. Friday night at 6:30. Passes for Friday night are $20 or you can buy an all weekend pass for only $35. Come down and see us and the other local designers on the runway.


xoxo
Mikki

No comments:

Post a Comment